Above is a handy video showing different gaits when animating dogs in motion; walks, trots and runs. Being able to master the three basic animal gaits is an important part of studying at Animation Apprentice. Especially in the world of VFX animation, studios will expect animators to be able to handle quadruped locomotion, and also create an imaginative a believable performance.
To see more resources on how to animate quadrupeds, see the links below:
- Quadruped Transitions - Managing the transitions from a walk to a trot to a run
- Animating horses - what are the best free Maya rigs?
- Recommended free quadruped rig - Leopard rig by Truong
- Dragon in Flight Tutorial
- How to plan animal and creature animation
- How Framestore uses live-action reference to plan animal and creature shots
- Animal Locomotion for animators by Stuart Sumida