Sunday 21 January 2024

Why Animators Should Work on Multiple Shots

The Iron Giant
Recently a student at Animation Apprentice was getting stuck on one of the weekly exercises, and I suggested that he work on a different shot. At first he resisted - he didn't want to give up on the shot he was working on.  

But I explained that lots of animators like to work on multiple shots at once - it helps to be able to rest your eyes, and come back fresh to a shot after working on something else for a while. 

Iron Giant
Working on production I always liked to be able to work on multiple shots at once. On a well organised project, such as The Iron Giant, which I worked on back in 1997, the animators were all give a sequence of shots to work on, so that we could maintain continuity, and take ownership of a small section of the film.  

Rough Out Multiple Shots
In addition, we could rough out all the shots at once, working on them simultaneously.  That way, no-one got stuck or stale on a single shot.  It's a great way to work, one which I recommend to all my students. Work on multiple shots, and keep your eyes fresh. 

Alex williams Iron Giant Reel


Work on Multiple Shots at The Same Time
Personally I always like to work on multiple shots at once - I find it helps to rest my eyes, and the thinking time allows me to come back to a shot fresh after a couple of days. I have scenes in my Maya folders on my PC which I have been working on for months (or even longer). 

Try a Different Shot
If you haven't looked at your work for a while, you see it with fresh eyes, and you can immediately spot the mistakes, and the bits that could be improved.


No comments:

Post a Comment