Tuesday 31 October 2017

Cristian Pall Animator at A.i. Solve

Congratulations to Animation Apprentice student Cristian Pall who has just secured a position as an animator with the games company A.i.Solve.

A.i.Solve describes itself as "an Artificial Intelligence Solutions provider bringing together the best in AI, VR & MR products and solutions".

We asked Cristian to tell us a little about the new position, what is involved, and how he secured that crucial first job in the animation industry. 

Cristian Pall...with cucumbers
What is your new job?
My new job as a 3D Artist and Animator with A.i. Solve Limited.  I will be creating assets and props that go in the environments, and creatures that will give a good scare once headsets are put on! Also, I will be responsible of rigging and animating the characters I create – which is super awesome.

How did you get the job?
I had been preparing for this job since childhood without even knowing it. I have studied Fine Arts in high-school and University, and although I’ve spent most of my spare time playing games as a teenager and young adult, the idea of making a career as a games artist only came to me after I graduated. This was mainly because of the lack of game-related courses and job opportunities in my home town, in Transylvania.

So, there I was with this new dream of pursuing a career in the games industry, ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen – that’s when I decided to move to London. I was very enthusiastic about working in a studio, however I was lacking the skills, so I knew that I must put in a lot of time and effort to build and develop my skills. I have enrolled in online workshops with Gnomon, CG Society. In the spring of 2017 I joined Animation Apprentice because I also wanted to give life to the characters I create.

Artwork by Cristian Pall
During all this time I’ve also tried to stay up to date with what is happening in the games industry in the UK. I attended a couple of games events, such as Bafta Games where I would listen to games professionals about their journey and the challenges they had to put up with. I created an online portfolio and a LinkedIn account to build my visibility online, and even looked up studios and recruiting agencies and applied to jobs listed on their website. 

Following this, I started to receive calls from agents willing to help me find my dream job. I wasn’t however quite ready, so I continued to work harder and harder, sometimes asking myself if I will ever end up working in a games studio.

But all this paid off in the end. A few months ago I applied for this 3D Artist job at A.i.Solve.  I found at Indeed.com and, although the interview was one of the most challenging experiences I have ever had, I made it through and got the job!

What advice would you give students hoping to break into games?
You’ve got to love games! Master the skill, and do it out of passion.. Try to stay connected, speak to games professionals, seek advice and don’t stop improving your work. Game studios are always on the lookout for passionate, skilled, ambitious players.

You can see Cristian's animation and digital artwork at his website here.


No comments:

Post a Comment