How long should a demo reel be? This is a question I often get asked at Animation Apprentice. The simple answer to the question is, for a student reel, "about 30 seconds to a minute". But there is a longer answer, which is a little more complicated. A demo reel is the single most important means of landing that crucial first job in the animation industry, so it's important to get it right.How long should your demo reel be?
The truth, of course, is that it doesn't really matter how long your reel should be. It's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?". What is important is that your reel showcases your best work, and only your best work. To see more about how to put together a great demo reel, read this blog post.
We have many resources available at Animation Apprentice aimed at helping our students find work in the animation industry. To get started, see the blog posts below:
- How do graduates find work in the animation industry?
- Demo Reel Advice - at Skwigly
- Demo Reel Advice by Animal Logic
- Why Animators Need to be on LinkedIn
- Be the Rhino - remember that rejection is normal
- Six Rules to Create a Great CV
- How to Write a Cover Letter
- How to Find an Animation Internship
- Blue Zoo Recruitment Tips
- Escape Studios' Free Industry Survival Guide
- Escape Studios Free Careers Guide
- Michael Morgan: "From the Classroom to the Studio"
- Why Animators Need their Own Blog or Website
- How to be a Freelance Animator
- 12 Rules to Find Work in the Animation Industry
- Pixar Advice for Graduates